Every year we get to August 1st and I think man, I DIDN’T DO HALF THE THINGS I MEANT TO WITH THE KIDS…
Here’s at least one activity for family fun in Delaware every day in August that’s free or nearly free, so you can run through your summer bucket list without breaking the budget!
(Don’t forget, we’re always working on updating our local event calendar so you can always find a Delaware to-do. You can filter by cost, category, date/day of the week, and submit your own events for inclusion for free!)
Monday August 1st: Summer in the Parks
These free arts activities for kids of all ages actually take place every weekday through August 19th in neighborhoods across the City of Wilmington. These are shine only events, running for about an hour. Get the 9:30am schedule here, and the 12noon schedule here.
Tuesday August 2nd: Newark National Night Out
On Academy Street from 6 to 9pm, there will be tons of fun free activities hosted by the Newark Police Department (NPD), University of Delaware Police Department (UDPD) and Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company.
Wednesday August 3rd: Touch a Truck
Got a kid that loves trucks? Head out to the awesome Can-Do Playground in North Wilmington to see and touch the machines and vehicles that Delaware State Parks maintenance team uses to keep their parks beautiful.
Thursday August 4th: Tai Chi in the Park
For yoga lovers or martial arts practitioners. Gene McClone from Gentle Palm Karate Academy leads participants through the basic movements of Tai Chi on North Park Drive in Wilmington. Weekly on Thursdays until Aug 25th.
Friday August 5th: Free Tennis Fridays (ages 7-14)
For beginners and advanced beginners. No need to pre-register, racquets will be available onsite for you to use. Fridays through August 12th at Bosnall Park in North Wilmington and Glasgow Park in Bear.
Don’t play tennis? How about…
Summer in the Parks Presents: Wilmington Ballet Academy of the Dance
A short ballet demonstration, followed by a performance of short ballet pieces from classical to modern. This event is free at Stapler Park off North Union Street; bring a chair or a blanket!
Saturday August 6th and Sunday August 7th: lots of FREE things to do!
- Free Family Fish N Fun Day at Slaughter Beach
- Dover Comic Con
- Recycled Cardboard Boat Regatta
- 19th century “base ball” at Hagley
- Newark Co-op Farmer’s Market Summer Fest
- Pay what you wish at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Children’s Illustration Celebration at the Brandywine River Museum
Monday August 8th: Free Concert in the Park
Get a little dancing in! The Sin City Band plays Canby Grove Park in Centreville at 6:30pm. Rain date August 15th.
Tuesday August 9th: Dover National Night Out
Check out the Dover Police K9’s, hang out in an armored truck, get up close to the Delaware State Police Helicopter. Free document shredding and Target will be raffling prizes all evening.
Wednesday August 10th: Summer Waterpark Luau at Killens Pond
Music, games, and food! Admission to the waterpark is $4 per person.
Thursday August 11th: Family Fun Night at the Brandywine Zoo
Special evening hours hosted by 93.7 FM WSTW. Meet radio personalities and enjoy special games and activities. $1 admission, $1 hot dogs and soft drinks, too. Free parking. Rain date Tuesday, August 15th.
Friday August 12th: $5 After 5pm at Delaware Children’s Museum
Featuring special extended hours until 8pm, unique programming, and discounted pricing for guests visiting after 5pm, Fridays will never be the same!
Saturday August 13th and Sunday August 14th: another big weekend!
- CACC Chinese Festival
- Family Fun Day at Carousel Park
- Get away from the city lights and watch the Perseid Meteor Showers at Killens Pond ($3) or Brandywine Creek State Park ($5 per car)
- Youth Fishing Tournament at Trap Pond
- POW Weekend at Fort Delaware (adults have to pay for the ferry BUT one elementary age kid gets free admission with each paying adult, as part of the Every Kid in a Park initiative. Print out your pass here.)
Monday August 15th: Blue Rocks vs. Potomac Nationals Pokémon BOGO
Buy one reserved box seat and get the second ticket free. Before the game, they will drop Lure Modules at the Frawley Pokéstops at 5, 5:30 & 6pm so the Pokémon will be swarming! Plus, the first 1,000 fans will receive a Blue Rocks Jersey T-Shirt.
Tuesday August 16th: Dolphin Watch
Tuesdays through August 23rd at Cape Henlopen State Park. Guided search for bottlenose dolphins for ages 7 and up with a paying adult. $2 per person, pre-registration is required.
Wednesday August 17th: Farm Fun Wednesdays
Informal days 11-2:30 on Coverdale farm, no pre-registration required. Tours; U-pick flowers, herbs & vegetables; lawn games, storytime at 1pm. Free for Members & all children under 2. Adult Non-Members $5, kids older than 2 are $3.
Thursday August 18th: Go on a wild crab chase
Search for the nocturnal ghost crab with a naturalist, after dark on Fenwick Island. No registration required.
Friday August 19th: Full Moon Hike
Hour long hike under the Green Corn Moon at White Clay Creek State Park. Meets at the Chambers House Nature Center at 8:30, $5 per person. Register by noon the Friday before and receive $1 discount.
Saturday August 20th and Sunday August 21st
- Cinemark Community Day (free family movies)
- Pawpaw Folk Festival at the Blue Ball Barn
- Wilmington & Western Railroad Summerfest (you still have to pay to ride the train if you’re over the age of 2, but Summerfest activities are free)
- Climb Rockford Tower
- Middletown Peach Festival
Monday August 22nd: Pick Your Own Blackberries
OK, this only counts as a free or nearly free if you have great restraint. But you’ll be supporting a local farmer! At Berry Good Farms in Hockessin.
Tuesday August 23rd: Storytime at Woodside Creamery
Special guest readers, fabulous books, yummy ice cream and great giveaways. Bring a picnic blanket and make an afternoon of it! (Shine only event.)
Wednesday August 24th: Newark Bike Rodeo
Free event held at Kells Park by the Newark Police Special Operations Unit for bike riders of all ages. Learn about bicycle safety and practice your cycling skills. Pre-registration is not required but parents or guardians will need to sign a waiver. Parents of kids that have not yet completed kindergarten must stay with their child throughout the program.
Thursday August 25th: Family Night on the River Taxi
Tuesday nights are Family Karaoke nights. Thursday night join a Nature Guide from Delaware Nature Society to experience and learn about local Wildlife. Families also receive a discount coupon for Drop Squad Kitchen & Stratosphere Trampoline Park jump passes for the kids! Family Night Cruise times are 6pm and 7pm and leave from Dravo Dock on the Wilmington Riverfront. Cost is $15 for a family of 4, with each additional person for $3.75.
Friday August 26th: beta hi fi Emerging Music Festival 2016
Hot tip for those with older kids that love music: most World Cafe Live at the Queen shows are all ages events. Check out free concerts every Wilmo Wednesday, and discover regional emerging artists during this free two-day festival!
Saturday August 27th and Sunday August 28th
- Welcome to Monster High in theaters for one day only
- Cowboy Monkey Rodeo, Cowboy Hats, & Fireworks!
- Farm Fun Saturday
- Night two of the beta hi fi Emerging Music Festival 2016
- Dog Days of Summer 5K benefits pets in our area in need
Monday August 29th: Minecraft at the Library
Register for a 60-minute session and make new Minecrafting friends at the Elsmere, Woodlawn or Selbyville Library.
Tuesday August 30th: Netting In The Marsh
This free activity happens Tuesdays through Sundays at the DuPont Environmental Education Center, 2 to 2:45 pm. Explore the marsh using nets and see how many critters and insects you can catch and identify! No pre-registration required.
Wednesday August 31st: Bike and Hike (Dog Days of Summer)
Bike and Hike runs 5 to 8pm every Wednesday in August. Stroll, jog, or cycle a three-mile loop from Hagley’s Visitor Center to Eleutherian Mills and back; explore parts of the property not usually open to visitors. The last Wednesday of the month is Dog Days of Summer, when furry friends are welcome to join you. Pack your own food, order a Picnic Tote in advance from the café, or buy something to eat when you arrive. Admission is $2 per person; free for Hagley members, active military, and Special Olympics athletes.
Ongoing Free or Nearly Free Activities in August:
Cheap Family Movies
These movies are worth the price of admission just to sit in the A/C!
- Regal $1 Summer Movie Express: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, runs through August 17th
- Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse: Movies 10 in Newport is showing $1 movies on Tuesdays through August 23rd.
- Penn Cinema Summer Kids Camp: $3 movies on Wednesdays on the Riverfront until August 17th.
Note: For concerts in state parks, you do have to pay the per-car admission fee.
- Bellevue Park Sundays and Thursdays through August 28th
- Holts Landing State Park Tuesdays through August 9th
- White Clay Creek State Park Wednesdays through September 5th
- Battery Park Wednesdays through August 17th
- Wilmo Wednesdays at World Cafe Live at the Queen
- Delaware Seashore State Park Thursdays through August 18th
- Wilmington Riverfront Thursdays through August 25th
- Killens Pond Fridays through August 12th
- Rehoboth Beach Bandstand Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through September 3rd
- Trap Pond Saturdays through September 3rd
Free Museum Admission
If you plan ahead, you can get a whole lot of culture for not a whole lotta dollars. Here are the museums in Philly and Delaware that offer free or nearly free admission.