There are so many things to do in the area right now, it’s scary! We’ve listed our top picks for spooktacular fun in Delaware and beyond for Halloween weekend, October 28th through 30th.
Make sure to check out our lists of places to go apple picking and where to lose yourself in a corn maze. For many, many more events in Delaware and beyond, take a look at our event calendar. You can filter by cost, venue and time of day.
Things to Do in Delaware,
October 28th – 30th
In Movie Theaters
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: 2 and 7pm, October 28th through 31st.
- Pokemon: The First Movie. Mewtwo Strikes Back: Saturday and Tuesday the 1st.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show: Saturday at Schwartz Center for the Arts. Go ahead, do the Time Warp again.
- Halloween: Mike Myers is back Saturday at Cinemark Movies 10 and Christiana.
In Other Theaters
- RENT: At the Playhouse. Friday 8pm, Saturday 2 and 8pm, Sunday 2 and 7pm.
- The Little Mermaid: Last weekend at Delaware Children’s Theatre! Come in costume for the Princess and Prince Parade.
All the Halloween Things
Elsmere Halloween Spooktacular
Free event, all are welcome! Halloween costume parade starts at 5pm Friday followed by indoor trick-or-treating and the movie Hotel Transylvania 2.
Sea Witch Halloween & Fiddler’s Festival
A full weekend chock-full of festivities down the shore in Rehoboth and Dewey.
Parents Night Out with Winterthur
Drop the kids off (ages 5-10) at the Delaware Museum of Natural History for a “Merry not Scary” night filled with pizza dinner, movies, games, crafts, experiments, and other fun activities. Parents are invited to head over to Winterthur After Hours (but that’s up to you). Children are welcome to wear their Halloween costumes for the camp. Pre-registration required.
First enjoy a 45 minute hayride, then take a 45 minute Hallo-weenie break at the campfire. 6 and 7pm at White Clay Creek State Park, $8 per person. Must pre-register for a timeslot.
Dover Safe Trick-or-Treat 2016
1st Annual Safe Trick-or-Treat event will be presented by the Dover Police Department Friday on Legislative Mall. Roads will be closed so kids can safely trick-or-treat at a variety of police and fire vehicles and local businesses and organizations. Plus, food trucks 6-8p.
Children’s Fantasy Trail
28th Children’s Fantasy Trail at Cape Henlopen State Park, October 28-30. Wear your Halloween costume and trick-or-treat for candy and toys with your favorite storybook characters along our trail lined with jack-o-lanterns! Entertainment under the tent each evening will include singing, juggling, magic and more. $5 per person.
Hockessin Jack O’Lantern Jamboree
Walk around Gateway Garden Center and see pumpkins hand carved by local artists, businesses and Gateway’s Staff! Light refreshments available for purchase.
Trunk or Treat at Western Y
Bring the family and enjoy a safe trick or treating experience for all in the Western Family YMCA parking lot. Costumes are welcomed! Free community event.
Boo! at the Zoo!
3 Palms Zoo will be open late all weekend for spooky, NOT scary, family fun. Walk through the haunted woods, see the Zoo’s nocturnal animals awake and active, enjoy warm cider and marshmallows for roasting.
Zombies at the Zoo
Haunted walk, Freaky Clown Maze and Zombie paintball at the Plumpton Zoo Friday and Saturday 7-10pm.
Dark Dover Lantern Tour
Witness firsthand true stories of murder and mayhem, and encounter characters whose legends have left their sinister imprint on The Green. Pre-registration is required and spaces are limited. Not appropriate for children under 10.
Fall Fest at Fifer’s Orchard
Corn Maze Fun Park, U-pick apples, U-pick pumpkin patch, hayrides, barrel train, pony rides, local food vendors, live music, apple cider doughnuts, fall family fun!
Jason Didner and the Jungle Gym Jam Costume Party
It’s a Halloween Costume Party at World Cafe Live at The Queen. $8 + fees, 10% of the admission proceeds will go to Xavier Ross, a 5-year-old heart patient since birth at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Fox Run Fall Festival
Car show, face painting, food, fire trucks, and trick or treating for the kids at Fox Run shopping center.
Halloween in Hockessin: Candy Corn Trail
From 11am to 3pm Saturday, 44 local businesses will be handing out treats to kids in costume. Hosted by the Hockessin Association. You’re encouraged to park at the library.
FurFestival: Pet Clinic + Costume Contest
Free microchipping for 100 pets; low-cost vaccines and flea and tick treatments also available at Shipley Manor Saturday. K-9 demonstrations, pet costume contest with cash prizes. Meet adoptable pets, march with your pet in the Pet Parade.
Newark Natural Foods welcomes families Saturday to a night of Vegan Food, Games and Treats with proceeds benefiting Delaware Action for Animals. Kids’ Costume Contest, Prize Raffles, Trick or Treating, Dinner, Dessert. $10 per person, infants 1 year or younger are free.
37th Annual Halloween Loop
Bud Light presents Out & About Magazine’s 37th Annual Halloween Loop, a citywide costume party. Pay a one-time cover charge to visit nightspots throughout Wilmington. Free shuttle buses are provided.
Before the parade kicks-off join the Downtown Newark Partnership for A Pumpkin Palooza on the Academy Building Lawn. Buy a pumpkin to carve or paint, enjoy baked goods and free refreshments, kids can get free face painting.
Children in costume ride the Wilmington & Western Railroad for 1/2 fare and receive Halloween treats.
Fun and never spooky Halloween Steamin’ Day at Auburn Heights. Halloween scavenger hunt, rides in historic automobiles, steam car demo, rides on the Auburn Valley Railroad, family activities and more. Costumes encouraged but not required.
Halloween Crafts and Fun
Free Halloween event at Historic Odessa Foundation. Parade through the garden, bring a carved pumpkin for the contest and age-appropriate crafts will be held in the Wilson-Warner Stable.
Newark Halloween Parade and Trick or Treat
Marching bands, floats, antique automobiles, costumed characters and more. Starts at Tyre Avenue and Main Street and marches west to College Avenue. Afterwards, trick or treat Main Street. All municipal lots will offer free parking to cars. Main Street will remain closed throughout the event.
Pop Some Tags
- Fall Treasure Sale: Saturday at the First Unitarian Church of Wilmington. Lots of books and jewelry, kid stuff, collectibles and antiques, small furniture, plant sale.
- First State Flea: Saturday at Dravo Plaza On The Riverfront. Food trucks will join the festivities and costumed kiddies can trick or treat with FSF vendors.
Comics and Fandoms
- Mirufodocon 2016: A three day Anime/Manga Convention, Mirufodocon (meaning “Milford Convention”) is not your average anime con.
- Halloweekend Spookabration at The Comic Book Shop: It’s like Free Comic Book Day Weekend PLUS Halloween! Costume contest, free comics, storewide sale.
- Pokemon Trade and Collect: Trade and collect cards at your local Toys R Us store. First 50 to attend receive figurines.
Food Truck Festivals
- Rebel Seed Fall Food Truck Fest Competition
- Food Truck Faceoff at Delaware Park. Free admission and parking
- UD Football: University of Delaware Blue Hens Football play Towson University Tigers Football Saturday.
- Happy Hallo-Scream: Diamond State Roller Derby All Stars vs Southern Delaware Roller Girls at Christiana Skating Center Sunday. Sponsored Charity is Get Well Gabby; bring new books to be donated to the children’s oncology unit at AI DuPont.
Whew! Lots of options to choose from—
what are YOU doing this weekend?