Thank you to those who have served. Here are some Veterans Day activities and freebies, and a whole lotta other things to do in Delaware this weekend, November 11th-13th.
Things to Do in Delaware,
November 11th – 13th
For many, many more events in Delaware and beyond, take a look at our event calendar. You can filter by cost, venue and time of day.
Veterans Day Activities
- Day Camp: Holiday Crafts And Games at Ashland Nature Center
- Veteran’s Day at First State Heritage Park: Learn about Delaware’s military heroes and remember their sacrifices; examine the interconnected lives, the dedication and the friendship of four Union officers serving together as volunteers during the Civil War; examine the influence of patriotic songs composed in American during WWI; Heroes of the Revolution Walking Tour
- Veterans Day Discount at Delaware Art Museum
- Free Admission for Veterans at Hagley Museum
- U.S. Air Force Heritage Brass: The U.S. Air Force Heritage Brass of the USAF Heritage of America Band plays at Newark High School on Veterans Day beginning at 7pm. Free and open to the public.
- Free Admission to National State Parks: Happy 100th birthday to our National State Parks! To celebrate America’s Best Idea, admission is free Veterans Day.
- Cape Henlopen Volunteer Trail Day: Join the Friends of Cape Henlopen as they work to maintain the park’s trails or take on some other light maintenance project.
- Family Fishing at Brandywine Creek State Park: There will be a tutorial for those who are new to the sport of fishing. Supplies will be provided, or you can bring your own. Fishing licenses are required. Free.
- Fifer Orchards Holiday Open House: Free hayrides, hot apple cider, marshmallows by the fire, cooking demos.
- Hootin’ for S’mores at Lums Pond: Who doesn’t want to learn about and search for owls? Who doesn’t like to eat S’mores by the campfire? Do both in this fun filled evening program.
- Pick-your-own season is in full swing! Here’s where to go apple picking in the area.
Thrift and Antique Shopping
- 53rd Annual Delaware Antiques Show at the Chase Center on the Riverfront: 60 of the country’s most distinguished dealers present the finest offerings of American antiques and decorative arts, including furniture, paintings, rugs, ceramics, silver, jewelry, and more.
- Junior League of Wilmington’s Whale of A Sale: “Delaware’s Largest Garage Sale”: gently used items, new merchandise, furniture and antiques.
- Flea Market at Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church: find treasures and enjoy the bake sale.
- Children’s Resale: Saint Catherine of Siena Children’s Clothing & Toy Resale is held in the fall and the spring from 9:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m in the John J. McGee Gym at All Saints School on the ground of Corpus Christi.
- Winter Bazaar at Trinity Presbyterian Church: handcrafted gifts and delicious treats, nearly new treasures, antiques, a great used book boutique, and gourmet gifts.
- Indoor Flea Market at Corpus Christi Social Hall: First State Flea hosts their first indoor flea market of the season.
For the Kids
- Parent’s Night Out: STEM Challenge-Marsh Edition at DuPont Environmental Education Center: Enjoy an evening on Wilmington’s Riverfront while the children have tons of fun at the DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC). Children’s dinner will be provided.
- Learn To Ride A Bike at the Police Athletic League of Wilmington: Lose those training wheels and learn to ride on two wheels!
- Disney Junior at the Movies Mickey’s BIG Celebration: Celebrate Mickey’s Birthday and be the first to see Mickey’s all new series Mickey and the Roadster Racers on the big screen.
- LOLLY and YOYO at World Cafe Live at The Queen: Part of the Peanut Butter & Jams series.
- LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS Building Event: Build and take home a free LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS Monster at Toys R Us.
- Family Yoga Class at Tulaa Yoga: yoga games, practice partner acrobatics, and flying partner yoga for kids ages 4-11. Partner poses are emphasized, ensuring great bonding time. This class promises fun for the whole family!
- The Spell of Sleeping Beauty at the Schwartz Center for the Arts: Two presentations of “The Spell of Sleeping Beauty” by the Children’s Theater of Dover. All tickets $10.
- Family Sunday Studio at Delaware Art Museum: create art together and experiment with new materials, techniques, and themes in the Bank of America Education Wing Studios—no reservations required. Recommended for ages 6+ and adults.
- Space Jam in theaters: with Looney Tunes short, “I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat” prior to the the movie.
For the Dogs (and Cats)
- Low Cost Vaccine Clinic at the Stanton SPCA: Bring in your cats and dogs for Distemper, Canine Bordatella (kennel cough) and Rabies vaccines or microchipping.
- Doggie Wash at Response-a-Bull Rescue: No more dirty dogs! All proceeds benefit the rescue.
At the Theatre
- Up Front with First State Ballet Theatre at live at the baby grand: Up Front gives the audience the chance to experience the dancing up close and personal. After the performance the dancers join the audience for a reception.
- An Ideal Husband at Wilmington Drama League: The last weekend for Oscar Wilde’s wickedly funny take on society, politics and relationships.
- Auditions for James and the Giant Peach at The Everett Theatre: All roles are open and paid. Auditions are on a first cone first served basis.
- Winter Bird Talk at Wild Birds Unlimited in Hockessin: Learn about the winter birds that migrate to our area, such as Juncos and White-throated Sparrows, and the best tips to draw them to your yard. Learn why suet and nuts are an important part of how birds stay warm on cold nights. Free.
- Winter Waterfowl Identification at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge: Birds for study will include both the expected and the unusual species. This program will introduce new birders to many commonly seen waterfowl, while offering plumage challenges for more advanced birders. Free.
- Fantastic Beers and Where to Find Them: Mispillion River Brewing releases four beers and four commemorative glasses in honor of Harry Potter and Hogwarts. Also: Beer Quidditch, Trolley Witches, a Sorting Hat and Horcrux Scavenger Hunt.
- Historical Happiness at the Old State House in Dover: free live music from four extremely talented singer-songwriters.
- Delaware 87ers vs. Westchester Knicks: at the Bob Carpenter Center. Tickets start at $10.
- Pay What You Can Film Screening of Love Thy Nature: all ages screening at World Cafe Live at The Queen. No reservations needed. Narrated by Liam Neeson, Love Thy Nature is a cinematic journey into the beauty and intimacy of our relationship with the natural world. With mesmerizing artistry and fascinating details, the film explores how nature nourishes us.
- Classical Piano Series, Part 2 at the Smyrna Opera House: Enjoy a Sunday afternoon of classical piano music in a beautiful setting. University of Delaware piano students will showcase their musical talents.
- 8-Bit Fall Concert at Amy E Dupont Music Building, Loudis Hall: The 8-Bit Orchestra is the university’s largest student-run ensemble, and focuses on playing music from everyone’s favorite video games. Reach the depths of darkness with music from DARK SOULS and METROID PRIME, and bask in the light of FIRE EMBLEM and SONIC 3. Free and will be live streamed.
Whatever you do, have a great weekend!