This is it, folks: the last weekend before Christmas, and the snow’s a-comin’ to Delaware! Here’s our top picks from allllllll of what’s happening in the 302 and beyond.
Things to Do in Delaware,
December 16th – 18th
For many, many more events in Delaware and beyond, take a look at our event calendar. You can filter by cost, venue and time of day.
Help lay wreaths at the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery Saturday after a brief ceremony at noon.
- Winter WonderFEST all weekend long at Cape Henlopen State Park: 2 miles of a drive-thru light show featuring 60+ light displays, plus a Christmas Village and Winter Carnival at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal with a giant ferris wheel, ice skating, indoor holiday workshops, live music, a strolling Santa, carnival games for all ages.
- It’s A Wonderful Life: the Jimmy Stewart classic is playing Friday and Saturday nights at the Everett Theatre.
- Merriness at the Museum: every weekend in December at the Delaware Museum of Natural History. Holiday film fest, storytime, Nature Nook crafts free with museum admission.
- Bethany Weekend Wonderland: cookies with Santa, free showing of Elf (popcorn and juice provided), caroling and cocoa on the Bandstand.
- Holiday Tea at the Milton Theatre: Join the Grinch, Heat Miser, and Abominable Snowman for this audience interactive holiday show with hot and cold tea served with cheese balls, a cookie, and animal crackers.
- Legos & Latkes for Kids: a pre-Chanukah event at Chabad of Delaware. Make your own Lego Menorah and delicious latkes!
- Bolshoi Ballet’s The Nutcracker in theaters: playing Sunday at Cinemark Christiana and Regal Brandywine.
- Photos with Santa from 11am to 7pm Friday at the Dutch Country Farmers Market
- Santa is Coming to Town Friday night at the Rosehill Community Center. Meet Santa and watch performances by Heidi’s Dance Academy. Light refreshments served.
- Breakfast with Santa at Dover AFB Fire Emergency Services
- Breakfast with Santa at Chick-fil-A in Bear
- Breakfast With Santa at the Zion Early Education Center: each child will receive a coloring book and candy cane, and can make an ornament.
- Cops And Kids Pancake Breakfast With Santa at Bancroft Elementary School
- Breakfast With Santa at Old Banks Craft Bistro
- Santa visits Newark Natural Foods on Saturday
- Santa’s House on the Boardwalk at the end of Rehoboth Avenue: no charge to visit Santa; donations are appreciated. (Sunday from 1 to 3 pm is pet time with Santa!)
- Brunch with Santa at the Columbus Inn
- Brunch with Santa at Klondike Kate’s: Sunday seating times at 10:30am and 1pm only. Reservations required; Jungle John & Safari Susan will also be there.
- Buffet brunch with Santa at Tonic Bar and Grille
At the Theatre
- A Christmas Carol at Delaware Theatre Company
- The Nutcracker: the Delaware Dance Company’s version, performed at UD’s Mitchell Hall throughout the weekend.
- The Nutcracker: First State Ballet Theatre returns to the Grand Opera House. Plus, Sugar Plum Tea in the Baby Grand Lobby.
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast: live show at the Everett Theatre Saturday and Sunday.
- Willy Wonka at Delaware Children’s Theatre
- Dance Delaware Studio Presents A Shining Light At Christmas at Talley Middle School. All proceeds donated to the “B + Foundation” which benefits pediatric cancer.
- Dial S for Santa: audience interactive, Comedy Mystery Whodunit at the Milton Theatre
- A Not So Silent Night at Clear Space Theatre Company: local favorites Matthew Kenworthy, John Flynn, the Family Jewells, and Alicia Dennis perform traditional and not-so-traditional seasonal favorites and original musical skits.
Holiday Concerts and Caroling
- Concord High School Chorale & Madrigals lunchtime concert at Grace Episcopal Church
- Community Christmas Caroling: starts at St. Nicholas’ Episcopal Church and moves throughout the neighborhood for an hour. Bring a flashlight and wear your Santa hat!
- Christmas Concert at the Smyrna Opera House: the First State Symphonic Band featuring favorite Christmas and holiday music.
- We Kids Rock Band’s Holiday Show: Part of the World Cafe Live at The Queen’s Peanut Butter & Jams series.
- First State Ringers will perform a holiday bells concert at the Kirkwood Library
- Hot Breakfast! and Friends Present A Very Dorky Christmas: old-timey holiday show at World Cafe Live at The Queen featuring Todd Chappelle, Dan Kauffman, The Honey Badgers, Randy America & Dave Janney, and more.
- Middletown Christmas Concert at Stone’s Throw Church: family friendly and free for everyone. If you are able, please a pair of gently used or new sneakers that will be given to children in developing countries through Soles4Souls.
- Cartoon Christmas Trio with The Wilmington Children’s Chorus at World Cafe Live at The Queen
- Christmas Carol Sing at the Episcopal Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew: Christmas readings and carols led by the SsAM Choir followed by medleys of favorite Christmas Carols.
- B+ Talent Show at St. Georges Technical High School: All proceeds will go to the B+ Foundation. Help the Hawks Soar for a Cure!
- Ladybug Festival Presents Lovebettie, Nalani & Sarina, Christine Havrilla & Gypsy Fuzz: Friday night at World Cafe Live at The Queen.
- Barnes Foundation Open House (Art After Hours + Pop Up Holiday Market): free admission Friday evening to the Masterworks of French Photography exhibition, plus local vendors and wine tastings. Walk up for tickets; no advance reservations
- Star Wars Night in Franklin Square: Come in costume, meet and greet favorite characters from Star Wars. Free, but there’s also the open for ticketed Jedi Training from 4-5pm on Friday.
- Tuba Christmas at the Kimmel Center: more than 100 regional tuba, sousaphone, and euphonium players join together in a free performance for people of all ages. Performances at 12 and 5pm.
- Laugh Out Loud Laughter Yoga: Did you know this was a thing? Laughter is good for your soul, and yoga is great for the body. Indulge in both in these year round community events Friday mornings at the Lewes library.
- DCM $5 AFter 5: Scavenger Hunt at the Delaware Children’s Museum
- Open Mic Night at Accent Music: any and all musicians/bands, all musical styles/genres, invited to this family-friendly event. Prizes, raffles, 50/50. $2 cover, food and beverages available for purchase.
- December Grand Baile! Latin Dance Night at The Grand Opera House: $5 at the door for a dance lesson followed by social dancing to the hottest Latin beats.
- Friday Night Comedy Series at Spaceboy Shows: Mary Radzinski, Shanell Renee, Brian Six, Jimmy Peoples, Sergio Santana.
- Open Broomball at University of Delaware Gold Ice Arena: $10 for first time players (rental broomball shoes included), everyone else pays $15 with shoes or $12 if you have your own.
- Caravel Academy Music Boosters Craft Fair: Over 70 vendors and exhibitors expected Saturday.
- Grilled Cheese and Craft Beer Tasting at World Cafe Live at The Queen: 21 and up. Vegetarian options available.
- Delaware Downhill 5K: inaugural event benefitting the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center. Point-to-Point road run/walk in Wilmington with a 233′ elevation drop.
- First State Comic Con at Millcreek Fire Hall: $3 at the door, kids under 5 free. Comic books, cosplay contest, special guests
- Sunset Hike and Campfire at Lums Pond State Park: group hike on the Jersey trail loop around the campground, followed by a cozy bonfire and s’mores. Pre-registration required;$2 per person.
- Adult Skate at the Christiana Skating Center featuring DJ Wait-a-Minute and DJ AWall. Ages 16+
Have a great weekend! Drive safely!