This is it, folks: the last weekend before Christmas, and the snow’s a-comin’ to Delaware! Here’s our top picks from allllllll of what’s happening in the 302 and beyond.
Things to Do in Delaware,
December 16th – 18th
For many, many more events in Delaware and beyond, take a look at our event calendar. You can filter by cost, venue and time of day.
Wreath Laying for Wreaths Across America
Help lay wreaths at the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery Saturday after a brief ceremony at noon.
- Winter WonderFEST all weekend long at Cape Henlopen State Park: 2 miles of a drive-thru light show featuring 60+ light displays, plus a Christmas Village and Winter Carnival at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal with a giant ferris wheel, ice skating, indoor holiday workshops, live music, a strolling Santa, carnival games for all ages.
- It’s A Wonderful Life: the Jimmy Stewart classic is playing Friday and Saturday nights at the Everett Theatre.
- Merriness at the Museum: every weekend in December at the Delaware Museum of Natural History. Holiday film fest, storytime, Nature Nook crafts free with museum admission.
- Bethany Weekend Wonderland: cookies with Santa, free showing of Elf (popcorn and juice provided), caroling and cocoa on the Bandstand.
- Holiday Tea at the Milton Theatre: Join the Grinch, Heat Miser, and Abominable Snowman for this audience interactive holiday show with hot and cold tea served with cheese balls, a cookie, and animal crackers.
- Legos & Latkes for Kids: a pre-Chanukah event at Chabad of Delaware. Make your own Lego Menorah and delicious latkes!
- Bolshoi Ballet’s The Nutcracker in theaters: playing Sunday at Cinemark Christiana and Regal Brandywine.
- Photos with Santa from 11am to 7pm Friday at the Dutch Country Farmers Market
- Santa is Coming to Town Friday night at the Rosehill Community Center. Meet Santa and watch performances by Heidi’s Dance Academy. Light refreshments served.
- Breakfast with Santa at Dover AFB Fire Emergency Services
- Breakfast with Santa at Chick-fil-A in Bear
- Breakfast With Santa at the Zion Early Education Center: each child will receive a coloring book and candy cane, and can make an ornament.
- Cops And Kids Pancake Breakfast With Santa at Bancroft Elementary School
- Breakfast With Santa at Old Banks Craft Bistro
- Santa visits Newark Natural Foods on Saturday
- Santa’s House on the Boardwalk at the end of Rehoboth Avenue: no charge to visit Santa; donations are appreciated. (Sunday from 1 to 3 pm is pet time with Santa!)
- Brunch with Santa at the Columbus Inn
- Brunch with Santa at Klondike Kate’s: Sunday seating times at 10:30am and 1pm only. Reservations required; Jungle John & Safari Susan will also be there.
- Buffet brunch with Santa at Tonic Bar and Grille
At the Theatre
- A Christmas Carol at Delaware Theatre Company
- The Nutcracker: the Delaware Dance Company’s version, performed at UD’s Mitchell Hall throughout the weekend.
- The Nutcracker: First State Ballet Theatre returns to the Grand Opera House. Plus, Sugar Plum Tea in the Baby Grand Lobby.
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast: live show at the Everett Theatre Saturday and Sunday.
- Willy Wonka at Delaware Children’s Theatre
- Dance Delaware Studio Presents A Shining Light At Christmas at Talley Middle School. All proceeds donated to the “B + Foundation” which benefits pediatric cancer.
- Dial S for Santa: audience interactive, Comedy Mystery Whodunit at the Milton Theatre
- A Not So Silent Night at Clear Space Theatre Company: local favorites Matthew Kenworthy, John Flynn, the Family Jewells, and Alicia Dennis perform traditional and not-so-traditional seasonal favorites and original musical skits.
Holiday Concerts and Caroling
- Concord High School Chorale & Madrigals lunchtime concert at Grace Episcopal Church
- Community Christmas Caroling: starts at St. Nicholas’ Episcopal Church and moves throughout the neighborhood for an hour. Bring a flashlight and wear your Santa hat!
- Christmas Concert at the Smyrna Opera House: the First State Symphonic Band featuring favorite Christmas and holiday music.
- We Kids Rock Band’s Holiday Show: Part of the World Cafe Live at The Queen’s Peanut Butter & Jams series.
- First State Ringers will perform a holiday bells concert at the Kirkwood Library
- Hot Breakfast! and Friends Present A Very Dorky Christmas: old-timey holiday show at World Cafe Live at The Queen featuring Todd Chappelle, Dan Kauffman, The Honey Badgers, Randy America & Dave Janney, and more.
- Middletown Christmas Concert at Stone’s Throw Church: family friendly and free for everyone. If you are able, please a pair of gently used or new sneakers that will be given to children in developing countries through Soles4Souls.
- Cartoon Christmas Trio with The Wilmington Children’s Chorus at World Cafe Live at The Queen
- Christmas Carol Sing at the Episcopal Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew: Christmas readings and carols led by the SsAM Choir followed by medleys of favorite Christmas Carols.
- B+ Talent Show at St. Georges Technical High School: All proceeds will go to the B+ Foundation. Help the Hawks Soar for a Cure!
- Ladybug Festival Presents Lovebettie, Nalani & Sarina, Christine Havrilla & Gypsy Fuzz: Friday night at World Cafe Live at The Queen.
- Barnes Foundation Open House (Art After Hours + Pop Up Holiday Market): free admission Friday evening to the Masterworks of French Photography exhibition, plus local vendors and wine tastings. Walk up for tickets; no advance reservations
- Star Wars Night in Franklin Square: Come in costume, meet and greet favorite characters from Star Wars. Free, but there’s also the open for ticketed Jedi Training from 4-5pm on Friday.
- Tuba Christmas at the Kimmel Center: more than 100 regional tuba, sousaphone, and euphonium players join together in a free performance for people of all ages. Performances at 12 and 5pm.
- Laugh Out Loud Laughter Yoga: Did you know this was a thing? Laughter is good for your soul, and yoga is great for the body. Indulge in both in these year round community events Friday mornings at the Lewes library.
- DCM $5 AFter 5: Scavenger Hunt at the Delaware Children’s Museum
- Open Mic Night at Accent Music: any and all musicians/bands, all musical styles/genres, invited to this family-friendly event. Prizes, raffles, 50/50. $2 cover, food and beverages available for purchase.
- December Grand Baile! Latin Dance Night at The Grand Opera House: $5 at the door for a dance lesson followed by social dancing to the hottest Latin beats.
- Friday Night Comedy Series at Spaceboy Shows: Mary Radzinski, Shanell Renee, Brian Six, Jimmy Peoples, Sergio Santana.
- Open Broomball at University of Delaware Gold Ice Arena: $10 for first time players (rental broomball shoes included), everyone else pays $15 with shoes or $12 if you have your own.
- Caravel Academy Music Boosters Craft Fair: Over 70 vendors and exhibitors expected Saturday.
- Grilled Cheese and Craft Beer Tasting at World Cafe Live at The Queen: 21 and up. Vegetarian options available.
- Delaware Downhill 5K: inaugural event benefitting the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center. Point-to-Point road run/walk in Wilmington with a 233′ elevation drop.
- First State Comic Con at Millcreek Fire Hall: $3 at the door, kids under 5 free. Comic books, cosplay contest, special guests
- Sunset Hike and Campfire at Lums Pond State Park: group hike on the Jersey trail loop around the campground, followed by a cozy bonfire and s’mores. Pre-registration required;$2 per person.
- Adult Skate at the Christiana Skating Center featuring DJ Wait-a-Minute and DJ AWall. Ages 16+
Have a great weekend! Drive safely!