I love a challenge!
The Delaware Great Parks Pursuit is funded by Nemours Health and Prevention Services in an effort to encourage families and kids to get outdoors for a healthy lifestyle. It offers up to 25 different fun activities to choose from and some prizes as incentive:
Complete 12 or more activities and receive a 2011 Delaware State Parks Annual Pass (Gold Level)
Complete 8 to 11 activities and receive one free two-hour canoe or kayak rental (Silver Level)
Complete 4 to 7 activities and receive two free admissions to Killens Pond Water Park (Bronze Level)
Now, clearly, since you need to pay for a park pass or a park fee to DO most of these activities, saving money is not going to be a motivating factor. But it’s fun to plan out your assignments, spend time at the state parks with your family, and supremely satisfying to check things off the list. The prizes are just a cool bonus!
Here are the activities to choose from–
- Spend a night camping under the stars at Lums Pond, Killens Pond, Trap Pond, Cape Henlopen or Delaware Seashore State Park.
- Climb the Cape Henlopen Fire Control Tower.
- Take the family on a hayride at Trap Pond, Bellevue, Killens Pond, White Clay Creek State Park or Brandywine Creek State Park.
- Rent a canoe or kayak from Lums Pond, Killens Pond, Trap Pond or Coastal Kayak at Delaware Seashore State Park.
- Take a ride on a steam car at Auburn Heights Preserve.
- Join a park naturalist for any guided hike, education program or adventure (such as bird watching, owl prowl, interpretive tour).
- Walk 5 trails from the Delaware State Parks Trail Challenge.
- Play a round of golf at Garrisons Lake or Deerfield Golf Courses.
- Participate in a Night Hike, Owl Prowl, Lantern Tour, Paranormal Tour, or other evening program.
- Volunteer 2 hours of service to DE State Parks (Acorn Collection Day is coming up!).
- Take a guided or audio tour of First State Heritage Park.
- Borrow a bike at Cape Henlopen, Bellevue or Trap Pond.
- Go fishing at any DE State Park.
- Ride the trail on horseback at Lums Pond.
- Play disc golf at Lums Pond, White Clay, Trap Pond, Cape Henlopen, Branywine Creek or Killens Pond.
- Visit the Brandywine Zoo.
- Walk a portion of the N. Delaware Greenway Trail or Junction & Breakwater Trail.
- Pack a picnic lunch & spend the day at any DE State Park.
- Tour the Indian River Life-Saving Station.
- Go fishing on an Indian River Marina head boat or charter boat.
- Complete the Blue Ball Barn Scavenger Hunt. Walk the Bellevue Arboretum.
- Spend a night in a yurt, cabin or cottage at Lums Pond, Killens Pond, Trap Pond or DE Seashore State Park.
- Check out a DE State Park playground you’ve never visited before.
- Visit the Cape Henlopen Nature Center.
Each activity requires that you procure a signature or answer a trivia question to confirm you completed it. The “game sheet” can be downloaded here.
Think quick! Deadline for completed game sheets is November 17th, 2010.