This year marks the 2nd annual Small Business Saturday, and I thought I’d share some gift ideas and favorites to support:
- Bloomsberry Flowers on Delaware Ave (Trolley Square area)
- Papa’s Pastry Shop on Union Street
- Maiale Deli and Salumeria on Lancaster Ave
- Pastabilities on Lincoln Street
- Delaware Seed & Garden and Delaware Local Food Exchange on Kirkwood Highway
- Bachetti Bros Quality Meats on Kirkwood
- Accent Music
- Cheese Chalet on 7
- Dunbar’s Cyclery on Phila Pike
- Tickets to events at the Grand Opera House, DuPont Theater, the Queen, Theatre N
- Memberships to the Delaware Children’s Museum, Delaware Center for Horticulture, Delaware Art Museum, Winterthur, Delaware Museum of Natural History (some of these carry reciprocal privileges for museums in Philly and other cities)
- Annual pass to Delaware State Parks
- Art classes at the Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts
- Theatre, steel drum or Rock Academy lessons at The Grand
- Continuing ed or enrichment classes at UD or Del Tech
- Order your local turkey now for Christmas from TA Farms
- Great Harvest Bread on Rt 4
- Herman’s Quality Meat Shop on Cleveland Ave
- La Petite Salon on Paper Mill has day camps and handmade items
- Grassroots, Village Imports Fair Trade, Newark Camera, Clothes in the Past Lane, Newark Natural Foods on Main Street
- Bowling gift cards at Blue Hen Lanes
***NOTE*** You can buy Downtown Newark gift cards that are good at dozens of local businesses!
In nearby Kennett PA:
- The Paper Market eco boutique
- Bedbugzz kids’ clothes and gifts
- Country Butcher Fine Foods
- Half Moon Restaurant: wild game and great beer
- Get a box of local, organic produce delivered right to your door with Suburban Organics.
I could keep going for hours, just within a half-hour radius of downtown Wilmington. There are just SO MANY local small businesses worth your patronage.
That’s before we even get into the wonderful world of Etsy, which is going to have to be its own post.
So take the pledge to shop small business on November 26th. As a bonus, if you’re an AmEx card holder you’re eligible for $25 back- more info at that link.
What are your favorite small local businesses?
List them in the comments!