We had a lovely taste of Indian summer these past few days, but the times, they are a’changing and it’s going to feel like FALL very soon! Looking for things to do in Delaware? Here are our top picks for this weekend, October 21st to 23rd.
Make sure to check out our lists of places to go apple picking and where to lose yourself in a corn maze. For many, many more events in Delaware and beyond, take a look at our event calendar. You can filter by cost, venue and time of day.
Things to Do in Delaware,
October 21st- 23rd
‘Tis the season for not-so-scary
Fall Fest at Fifer’s Orchard
Corn Maze Fun Park, U-pick apples, U-pick pumpkin patch, hayrides, barrel train, pony rides, local food vendors, live music, apple cider doughnuts, fall family fun!
Second Annual Booo-B-Q
Barbecue competition, parade + costume contest, low-digit surf-fishing tag auction, live music, Jeep show, kids games, a craft beer garden and so much more at Delaware Seashore State Park! All net proceeds benefit the Delaware Children in Nature Coalition.
Hayride and Bonfire
Good old-fashioned fun on a hayride around Brandywine Creek State Park. Hayride lasts 45 minutes and is followed by a cozy 45-minute campfire.
Boo! at the Zoo!
3 Palms Zoo extends their Friday and Saturday nights to 9pm through October 29th. Walk through the haunted woods and see the Zoo in a different light, at night! Warm cider and marshmallows for roasting will be provided.
Mystery at the Mansion: Villain’s Convention
It’s the annual Villains’ Convention at White Clay Creek State Park Judge Morris Estate. Meet a mob of mischief makers and help solve a murder mystery.
Big Fall Pumpkin Carve
Register to carve an awesome jack-o-lantern, compete for a prize, enjoy music, food, and beverages, hayrides, games, and crafts. Brandywine Creek State Park, $5 for all ages.
Kidstock Fall Festival
Live bands, food, tractor rides, face painting, games, crafts, farm animals, raffles and more at Fair Weather Farm at Fairhill. Benefits the non-profit “Watkins Farm for Our Future,” an educational program for self reliance which allows elementary school children an opportunity to open the classroom door and come and explore the farm and organic gardens.
‘The Shining’ in Theaters for Two Days Only
Playing at Regal Brandywine, Movies 10 in Newport and at the Christiana Mall on October 23rd and 26th.
Get your fall fitness on
Relax your mind and body with yoga Friday at Lums Pond. Space is limited and preregistration is required.
PAWS for People’ Wag-n-Walk and 5K Run
Family-friendly fun, entertainment, food, vendors, and doggie games/contests at Delcastle Recreation Park. Well behaved, licensed dogs are welcome to attend.
RUN INSPIRED 10K at Winterthur
Operation Warm Coats for Kids Foundation’s first charity race. Every registration will allow Operation Warm to provide a brand new coat for a child in need.
Mayor’s Masquerade Run/Walk 5K
This Fun Run/Walk will start in the Delaware Technology Park and head out onto James Hall Trail in Newark. Proceeds from this event will go to help fund Prestons Playground the adaptive playground being built in Newark. Costume not required, but awards and prizes will be given away for costume categories.
- A Tribute to George Harrison at World Cafe Live Wilmington Upstairs: 24 George Harrison songs performed by a full band of accomplished regional musicians. $15 + fees.
- Spaceboy Presents: Friday Night Comedy Series: BYOB, $10 at the door.
- Nightscape: Running out of time to experience Nightscape at Longwood Gardens! This Light and Sound Experience by Klip Collective ends October 29th.
- First State Ballet Theatre Presents Swan Lake at the Grand Opera House. This timeless story of good against evil is the greatest of all romantic ballets and is the most approachable and visually pleasing.
- I Want My CTC: a live tribute to the 1980s at World Cafe Live at The Queen. Old-school dance party, featuring an all-star band performing the biggest hits of the early ’80s. After the show, DJ Zip will keep the tunes coming at the official ’80s-themed after-party at Merchant Bar.
- 3rd Annual Halloween Show at Oddity Bar: Weekday Warriors as Kanye West and the Talking Heads, The Psychedelic Puppets as Black Sabbath, Pygmy Hippo as Bob Marley and the Wailers and Poor Yorick as The Ramones/The Clash. Costume contest with prizes.
To market, to market
Newark Flea Market
Clean out your garage, attic or basement and join the City of Newark, Parks and Recreation Department’s Annual Fall Flea Market at the George Wilson Center. Rain date October 29th.
JBF Elkton/Newark Fall Consignment Event
JBF is the nation’s leading children’s and maternity consignment sale. 50,000 items are expected at incredible prices at All Seasons Sports Academy in Elkton, from clothes to strollers to games to toys.
Hockessin Art and Book Fair
At the Hockessin PAL, meet authors and artists and buy original books and artwork. Attendees are encourages to dress up as their favorite literary character! Free.
For the fandoms
Coz Con: Newark Delaware Comic Con, Cosplay and Creations
Cosplay, Comic Con Marketplace with Crafts and Creations at Del Tech Stanton campus. Costume competition, live entertainment, indoor Trick or Treat. Children 12 and under admitted free!
Halloween Party and Mini-Con (DAS 13th Annual)
Join the Delaware Anime Society and the Dover Public Library for a free event for those ages 13 and up. Geek Pumpkin Carving contest, Cosplay competition, horror anime, video and tabletop gaming,crafts, raffle, anime pinata and more.
Harry Potter Festival and Quidditch Tournament
The Harry Potter Festival in Chestnut Hill will run for a full 10 blocks of muggles and magic. Both the Festival and the Quidditch Tournament are free and open to the public.
For the love of animals
Community Cat House Build Day
Join Faithful Friends Animal Society to help build cat houses to give to caregivers of local, managed cat colonies.
Halloween Pet Costume Contest
At the Constitution Yards Beer Garden; chances to win spooky prizes! All friendly leashed dogs welcome at this all ages event( kids also welcome).
This week in sports
U of D Blue Hens vs. Stony Brook University Seawolves
Tickets start at $15.
Demons, Dollars and Dolls: DSRD’s Skate-a-thon and Carnival Fundraiser
Diamond State Roller Derby is raising funds to purchase new Home Team Jerseys and for the Special Olympics of Delaware with a Skate-a-thon. Sponsor skaters to skate laps for charity, plus enjoy games, raffles, a silent auction and bake sale at Christiana Skating Center.
The week ahead…
- Monday Night Movies at Penn Cinema: Dial M for Murder
- Green By Nature Preschool: Spooky Creatures and Ghostly Games at Ashland Nature Center. See slithering snakes, bumpy toads, bats and spiders and more.
- $2 Tuesdays at Price Lanes: Games, shoes, pizza slices, and PBR beers just $2 each every Tuesday beginning after 8pm.
- Farm Fun Wednesdays at Coverdale Farm: tours, u-pick flowers, herbs & vegetables, lawn games, storytime.
- Movies on Tap: Die Hard at Penn Cinema: local brew tasting at 6:30pm, movie begins at 7pm.
- Wilmo Wednesdays at World Cafe Live at The Queen: free, all ages show every Wednesday.
- Oddball Bingo at Oddity Bar: free to play. Not your grandmother’s BINGO!
- New Castle County: Open For Business at the New Castle County Chamber of Commerce: free monthly seminars to help local businesses successfully develop.
- Newark Halloween Party: Halloween games, refreshments, a fabulous costume contest and a “spooky room” at the George Wilson Center for ages 3-12. No pre-registration required, $2 at the door.
- Dark Dover Lantern Tour at First State Heritage Park: witness firsthand true stories of murder and mayhem, and encounter characters whose legends have left their sinister imprint on The Green. Pre-registration is required and spaces are limited. Not appropriate for children under 10.
What are you doing this weekend?