Attention race addicts, charity supporters and wannabe non-couch-potatoes! I’m pretty excited about this Delaware Charity Challenge: a new run-row-bike INDOOR triathlon taking place January 9th at the Chase Center on the Wilmington Riverfront next year.
Keep in mind, in 2013 31.1% of adult Delawareans were classified as obese, ranking us 13th in the country. We can do better! I love any fun event that encourages people to get out there and MOVE.
10 Reasons to love the Delaware Charity Challenge:
1. You get to choose what charity you support.
2. It takes place in January, which is great for those like me who try to have an event on the calendar every month, or to serve as motivation to keep doing the work in the gym throughout the holiday season.
3. It’s indoors. See point 2. Have you waited around for a January race to start? It’s cold.
4. NO SWIMMING. I’m not a strong swimmer, having just learned a few years ago, and the thought of being in the water with so many racing bodies makes me want to hurl, frankly.
5. It’s low pressure, making for a great first race experience. You’re competing on machines (treadmill, rower, stationary bike) for 15 minutes and the total mileage is calculated, so there’s no worry about being the last to cross the finish line. (There shouldn’t be anyway. But I know how it goes.)
6. You can compete in all 3 events or just one as part of a team. Different team breakdowns mean you can either choose one event to compete in (Medley Team), or have each team member complete each event (Run, Row, Bike Team). You can also sign up as an individual.
7. It’s a small time commitment. You’re on each machine for 15 minutes with a 5 minute transition between each one, so you’ll be done in about an hour. Or if you’re on a team where each member does only one event each, you could all go at the same time and be done in 15 minutes!
8. Kids can participate with a parent’s permission!
9. Bonus fun! Each team gets free entry into a scooter race.
10. Chances to win prizes! Participants also gain free entry into the Health & Wellness expo. Sponsors and vendors often give out free samples and offer chances to win bigger prizes. Winning all around!
Early bird registration is open now; fundraising runs from October 1st to midnight on January 8, 2016. Until August 3rd, registration is $25 for each Medley Triathlon Team member (one event each), $40 for an individual or Run, Row, Bike Triathlon Team member (participating in all 3 events). Kids 12 and under have an early bird rate of $15. If you register more than one team at once you save a bit of money.
Will you be signing up? I’m sure I’ll be there, either as a family team member or on a team with my CrossFit Riverfront family. Maybe both!