Are you a gardener in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Delaware? The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society invites backyard gardeners, community gardeners, and everyone passionate about greening public spaces to enter their Gardening and Greening Contest. Entries will be judged on maintenance and horticultural practices, as well as the variety, color, and suitability of plantings. Design and total visual effects will also be considered, with extra points awarded for creativity and sustainable practices.
Who can enter?
- home gardeners with in-ground, combination, container or rooftop gardens.
- children’s gardens, maintained by school-age children under the supervision of an adult
- community gardeners may enter vegetable and flower gardens, garden blocks, public-space plantings, and parks
- businesses that have beautified their properties
- municipalities that have initiated environmental projects, such as stormwater management or tree plantings,
The ten contest categories include: Children’s Garden; Combination Garden; Container Garden; Environmental Initiatives; Flower Garden; Garden Block; Public Space: Planting/Parks; Rooftop Gardens; Urban Farm; and Vegetable Garden. More details on that here.
The PHS Gardening and Greening Contest will be accepting entries May 1 through June 15.