Calling all pro and amateur photographers! These photo contests are awaiting your entries.
DNREC 2016 Delaware Fishing Photo Contest
Love fishing and/or photography? DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife wants your entries for the 2016 Delaware Fishing Photo Contest. This year’s theme is “Fishing with Family or Friends.” The winning photo will be featured either on the cover or inside the 2017 Delaware Fishing Guide.
- open to Delaware residents of all ages, photographs must have been taken in Delaware.
- no more than three entries per person.
- open until October 31st, mail entries in 8×10 format to DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife Photo Contest, Attention: Jennifer Childears, 89 Kings Highway, Dover, DE 19901. Must include a completed and signed entry form and photo release form if the photograph contains images of children.
- Info + entry forms here. (Note: a hunting photo contest with the same theme will open up in September.)
INWilmington’s Wilmington IN the Best Light
INWilmington is searching for the photos that show Wilmington IN the Best Light. The Ultimate Grand Prize winner will have their own art exhibition in Wilmington’s Art on the Town; the top three images each week (determined by likes/favorites) will be shown at the Wilmington IN the Best Light exhibition at the Delaware Contemporary on September 9th.
There will be other prizes given along the way! This week, the first 5 submissions automatically receive a pair of tickets to the 2016 Peoples Festival; the top photographer AND one random winner will receive a pair of tickets to see The Wailers at World Cafe Live at The Queen on Thursday, August 16th.
To enter, share your photos taken in Wilmington on your public Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account using the hashtags below during their assigned time periods. Posting to multiple platforms does increase your chances to win; you’ll need to tag the contest sponsors which are listed here. Winners will be announced on Mondays.
July 25th – 31st #OneLoveinWilm Show us who (or what) is your One Love IN Wilmington!
August 1st – 7th #MusicinWilm We want to see you or a musician/band getting #inTune IN Wilmington!
August 8th – 14th #GNOinWilm Girls night out? Let’s see you out and about in Wilmington!
August 15th – 21st #SummerinWilm Show us you soakIN’ up the summer sun in Wilmington!
August 22nd – 28th #EatsinWilm Ready to #DigIN? Share a pic of your favorite food spots (or dishes) in Wilmington!
August 29th – Sept. 4th #BeautyinWilm Architectural, portrait, lifestyle – it doesn’t matter what, give us your most beautiful and artistic pic of Wilmington!
The Weather Channel’s It’s Amazing Out There
2016 Photo Contest
The It’s Amazing Out There photo contest from The Weather Channel is accepting submissions from amateur and pro photographers in three categories: Nature, Adventure and Weather. Photos must be more recent than January of 2013 and cannot have already won more than $300 in a contest.
The Grand Prize winner will win $15,000! This contest closes September 30th. Read the rules and enter here.
Smithsonian.com’s 14th Annual Photo Contest
The Smithsonian’s photo contest is open until November 30th and is taking entries in the following categories:
- Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
- Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
- People: Individuals from all walks of life.
- The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
- Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
- Mobile: The Smithsonian will award a prize to the best photograph submitted in any of the other categories that was taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
- Sustainable Travel: this category has more rules than the others, so make sure to check them out. Entries in this seventh category should address the question: What does a sustainable travel project look like to you? Entries also must be accompanied by a 100-word or less photo caption describing the photo’s content and story behind the photo.
Photos must be more recent than January 2014, more info here.
Let me know about any other photo contests you come across!